Thursday, June 7, 2012

Be Still

I will be in the middle of a task and suddenly have this great epiphany in my head that makes me think it would make for some profound blog post. But four loads of laundry, kids' baths, loading the dishwasher and picking up clutter make those epiphanies vanish in thin air. And that's what I do, get caught up in the tasks.

As I was vacuuming this morning's leftovers from the floor (I think I live with a family of squirrels or at least one four year old squirrel), I had this strong desire to rock my five month old. After the vacuum was put away, I picked her up and held her in my arms. We rocked in my chair and I gently gave myself a talk. Abbey - you get so wrapped up in the never ending to do lists, that you don't take nearly enough time to rock your babies, even the wriggly older one who is running around like a superhero. You get caught up with their physical needs - feeding, changing, clothing (all of which are important), that you often put their emotional needs on a lower pedal stool.  I then reminded myself that the snuggling, tickles and eye to eye contact are just as essential to their upbringing.

I am probably being somewhat hard on myself, because I do those things, just not as much as I or they would wish. It's activities like this that cause me to "be still" because it requires one on one time. It's the same way with God. He wants us to be still. Sure, He provides for our needs, but the greatest need is for relationship growth.

I would expound on that but my oldest is asking that we build a puzzle together. I think this has replaced the snuggling but it is not any less important. Now if I can just not focus on wanting to clean his fingernails.

No comments:

Post a Comment