Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reaching Out

Today was a good day. Since Mr. Man had a fever (that part wasn't good) most likely due to his back molars trying to come in, I took the day off to be with him. And it was good. We shared a banana; he helped shut the dishwasher with his head; there was one near mishap with a bowl of grits (the reason for the wardrobe change in the following pictures) and we played with his wooden train.

We also had lots of one-sided talks about boundaries. "No Gavin, your toy does not go in the dishwasher. Yes, that is Mommy's eye, but please don't poke it." I enjoyed every minute of it. Even when I looked down to see someone with outstretched arms wanted to be held while I was folding the laundry.

Okay, so this was a little more representative of the situation.

Have you ever tried to fold a queen size sheet with a toddler in your lap? To give him credit, he did later try to help. He surprised me by picking up his folded clothes and not tossing them, but carrying them to the bedroom. (Between you and I, it wasn't the right bedroom, but I'll still give him credit.)And you know what? Laundry can wait. I won't always have those little arms begging to be held.

It's amazing what that little boy does to my heart when he looks up at me and bats his eyelashes as he cocks his head to one side. It must be just part of how God feels when He sees His children being obedient or serving in His name.

In the last couple of months, I have been following several bloggers who have personally gone on trips with the Compassion group. Musician Shaun Groves is one in particular who included detailed information in his blog for those interesting in helping out with Haiti. There are also other organizations like the American Red Cross and World Vision. Quite honestly, it all seems very surreal to me, but I know it doesn't take anything away from the reality of what those people are going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment