Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thankfully Joyous Thursday Week #5

I just reminded myself that the hustle and bustle of getting ready for Christmas shouldn't mean buying/wrapping presents, baking/eating cookies and writing/scratching off lists. It should mean preparing our hearts year round for Jesus. I know we take this special time of the year to celebrate His birth, but I'm realizing more that I should always be preparing for His coming. I'm definitely not prolific at it by any means.

To most of the world this is simply known as the nativity scene. (I picked this one because it's very similar to the one we had growing up that was lovingly unwrapped each year.)
But to me I am joyfully thankful about it and everything that it speaks volumes of. It means life and death and life anew. All of the characters play such an important role from the angels to the wise men and shepherds, even the inn keeper. Joseph is never quoted in the Bible, but his obedience and care for Mary and Jesus say enough to his character. More than what Mary said, I wonder what was going through her mind. To be so young and to have such responsibility and obedience is beyond me. And Jesus to be God and become man is incomprehensible.

And yes, I am joyfully thankful that this scene did not play out with Jesus living a wonderful life and dying as an old man. He died as a young man and for us so that we might have life and life abundantly. I truly hope that you and your family have a very Merry CHRISTmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment