Friday, July 30, 2010

"Swimmin' Pools, Movie Stars"

Do you ever have this idea in your head about what a place looks like but know it's probably not going to live up to that? Los Angeles was like that for me. I have those Hollywood images imprinted on my brain over time, yet I knew it probably wasn't going to live up to my expectations. However, I just had to see for myself. Ashley graciously obliged me and we drove the two and a half hours to get there.

First stop- Beverly Hills.

We made our way down Rodeo Drive ( I imagined the streets to be larger- you can never trust a Shrek movie!)

All of you car gurus out there probably know what kind of car this is, but I have no idea. I just know the lady beside it really liked it and there were swarms of people taking photographs.

Beverly Hills Hotel

You know you are getting close to Hollywood when you pass the prop rental place.
After nearly running out of gas and being famished, we gratefully made our way to Miceli's for some yummy pizza. (Can you tell we ate pretty good?) This place has been around since about the 50s and it lived up to the parking attendant's review.
Frank Sinatra used to have a restaurant around the corner from here and he would come in to visit. Ol' Blue Eyes would pay the bus boy ten bucks to walk three feet and buy him a pack of cigarettes. Julia Roberts had to be reminded that she was in a family restaurant when caught making out with Lyle Lovett back in the day. I love places like this that have so much history.
We then walked around Hollywood Boulevard. I have to say that I am glad to see this place one time in my life, but I don't know if I would go back because it was SO crowded.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre
This one is for D.

And one for me.
Jimmy Kimmel Studios

And speaking of Jimmy Kimmel, I heard he keeps Regis Philbin's star pretty shiny.
Hollywood Boulevard
We couldn't leave without getting a clear picture of the Hollywood sign.

We had to drive up these winding roads past houses built on hills, but it was completely worth it.
Were my visions of L.A. concise with reality? No. But am I glad I now have seen it for myself? Without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment