Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lest I Should Forget

Today, God granted me a second glimpse at my baby. We have a full-fledged toddler running around the house, so sometimes it's hard to remember those infancy days. Gavin has never been much of a snuggler. Sure, I could hold him up until about the time he turned one when he took his last bottle, but he could pretty much care less that I ever rock him to sleep. The fact that he's so willing to just go right down in his crib and stay there for 12 plus hours is a blessing. However, I miss those snuggle times.

This afternoon, he was overly tired and it wasn't even quite his nap time. I think like his daddy and I, Gavin is feeling the effects of getting in the groove of school starting. I laid him down and he started crying hysterically. I thought it was because Eyore was in his bed (he has a small circle of animals that are allowed in), so I took the sad, gray animal out. That made matters worse. It seemed like no matter what we did, he wouldn't calm down. I ended up holding him and singing.

He almost instantly stopped crying (it's not because of my singing voice), but he still had those little cry hiccups that you get from crying so hard. As I sang a small repertoire of songs I used to sing to him, he gently stroked the hairs that had escaped from my pony tale and would rub the top of my arm with his hand. I noticed that his hand is slowly changing from a chubby baby hand into a slender little boy's. I sang to him until he drifted off with only the occasional hiccup. As I did, I thanked God for one more glimpse at those days that went all too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment